Live With Heart: Finding and Following Your Passion
3 min read
“If you can’t figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead right into your purpose.” -Bishop T.D. JakesA passion is something you have a strong liking and devotion to. It is often something you enjoy and want to do constantly. Your passions are often fueled by your values and personal beliefs. Your passions differ from hobbies and should be something you desire to improve or excel in. By pursuing and practicing your passions, even on the smallest scale, you allow yourself to experience something more in life. You will constantly stimulate and challenge your mind and live a happier life. If you are feeling stuck or lacking in life, it is time to start identifying your passions and reclaiming your sense of wonder.
It is important to note that your passions are not just found, they must be developed. Like anything worth achieving in the world, it takes work. So, finding your passion isn’t necessarily changing your career or trying to find the perfect position so it ‘doesn’t feel like work.’ This is misleading advice when it comes to doing what you are passionate about. Connecting with your purpose and finding more to be passionate about in your current situation, may be what you need to have more happiness and zest for life.
Here are steps you can take to identify your passions and connect more deeply to your life purpose:
- Create a vision of what you want your life to look like in a year, 2 years, 5 years from now. This should include what you want in your life both personally and professionally. This personal vision will help guide you in connecting to what you are passionate about and what life you will begin to create for yourself. It’s important to be able to paint this picture and truly visualize the future life you want. This will involve your personal values and be your guide to setting meaningful goals.
- Do some soul searching. Identify what it is you currently love doing as well as the things that you may need to let go of. Where will you create more space in your life and your schedule to begin to follow your passion and purpose in life. What fuels your soul and energizes you? What drains you most? Be sure to also focus on your strengths and talents. Where can you better apply these attributes in your life?
- Document your journey. Journal and make it routine. This will be a key tool in discovering what you are most passionate about and staying focused on your progress and personal growth. Commit and don’t skip this step in the process.
- Be in the now. Embrace mindfulness and meditation practice. Too often the busyness and constant distraction in life is why we end up feeling depleted and empty in the first place. Grounding yourself in the present moment more often keeps clarity in the decisions you make. These decisions will be what drives your habits. Your habits will determine your life.
- Seek professional help and support. Enlist in the help of a health coach. Join a support group or class such as Clarity Catalyst Course. Surround yourself with positive, like-minded people.
Once you have found your passion and connected to your life’s purpose, be sure to follow through and stay on course with these following tips:
- Create more purpose in your current situation. How can you better apply your passions in all areas of your current life?
- Make your passions a habit. If you are passionate about reading or running, start and lead a book club or running club in your area.
- Continue learning and improving personal development to better hone your skills.
- Use time management to dedicate time to work on your passions. Time blocking is a great way to improve your time management. Block out chunks of time to work towards your goals.
- Continue to work on healthy boundaries so you can commit the time you need long term.